Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I don't mind

I don't mind it when my water tastes like plastic. That is because when my water tastes like plastic, I am usually wearing a Camelback. If I am wearing my Camelback, I am usually on my mountain bike. If I am on my mountainbike wearing my Camelback, I am usually somewhere up a canyon on a trail, my legs burning, my heart pumping, and my face smiling. So I don't mind it when my water tastes like plastic. I actually sort of like it.

I don't mind it, when my hands turn black. This is because when my hands turn black, I have been handling a rope. If I have been handling a rope enough that my hands turn black, its probably because I have been belaying someone while they rock climb. If I am belaying someone while I rock climb, its also very likely that I myself have been rock climbing. My arms are tired, my blackened hands covered in chalk, and my face smiling. I don't mind it when my hands turn black. I actually sort of like it.

I don't mind it when I get grease under my fingernails. This is because if I have grease under my fingernails, I have been working with something greasy. It is likely that I am in the shop, tearing down a bicycle, or an engine, or something that I work on with my hands. It means that I am not in the library, studying until my brain hurts, or bored inside. I have things to do and hands to do it with, and if they get greasy in the process, then so be it. I don't mind when I get grease under my fingernails. I actually sort of like it.

I don't mind it when my brain hurts. This is because when my brain hurts, it means I have been thinking hard. If I have been thinking hard it means I have been studying and learning. If I am studying and learning, then I know more now than when I started the day. I may not be able to remember my phone number or how to get home, but man do I know a lot. I don't mind it when my brain hurts. I actually sort of like it.

I don't mind it when I am alone sometimes. This is because when I am alone, I get to listen to my thoughts, and think of why I thought them. I get those precious moments of silence, when I remember that when I am alone, I am not ever alone. I don't mind when I am alone. I actually sort of like it.

I don't mind when life gets hard. Actually, in the moment, I do mind when life gets hard. It really sucks. But life doesn't stay hard for that long. Life has a way of knowing how much I can take, and lightening up when I am about to crack. Life has a way of taking those hard times and flipping them into some of the greatest lessons I have ever learned. Life takes those hard times and makes me out of them. So in the moment, I do mind when life is hard. But I hang on, my neck bent to match my knees. Eventually I won't mind when life gets hard. I actually will be thankful it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment